The Friends List, (also known as the "Buddy List"), was a feature in Club Penguin, accessible through the toolbar, that provided a list of all the confirmed friends a player had, as well as allowing to send friend requests.
A list of all the friends a player has. Penguins that appeared here either confirmed a friend request sent by the given player, or sent one to the player that the player in turn confirmed. A player can have a total of 500 friends.
Friends are sorted alphabetically. Each friend is displayed as a square image of that player's player card upon their last log off, and their name in the bottom; a small badge in the upper-left allowed marking/unmarking a friend as a "best friend", which will pin them to the top of the Friends List. Offline friends' image are marked with a dark blue shadow, while online friends are automatically pinned to the top.
The bottom of the Friends List included a search field, which allows searching for any player in Club Penguin. If the searched player was found and they are not in the current player's friend list, they would appear in a box marked with "+ Add Friend", which will send them a friend request upon clicking.
Names of certain players, however, are not processed, and instead return a special message in the client-side.
Except for the Friends List itself, befriending another player unlocks some additional features:
- Players they can send their friends a postcard and visit their igloo, even if the other player is offline. In addition, if the other friend is online, the "Find" button becomes clickable in the friend's player card, which opens a popup window with their current location.
- In-game marking- inside rooms, friends will be marked with a green circle around their penguin, in a similar manner to how each player sees their own penguin with a blue circle.
After October 28, 2011 update, it became possible to search for offline penguins. However, searching for a famous penguin displays a small monologue preventing you from sending them a friend request. The only way to add a famous penguin as a friend is to meet him on the island. When added, famous penguins will be at the bottom of the friends list, clicking on their image opens their player card. Players may not mark a famous penguin as a best friend or be notified what room they are in or what server they currently are.
|Mascot||Message||Includes image?||Mascot ID|
|Rockhopper||Rockhopper be sailin' the high seas! To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||1|
|Aunt Arctic||Aunt Arctic is writing the newspaper. To add her as a friend, you must meet her on the island.||Yes||2|
|Cadence||Cadence is rehearsing new dance moves. To add her as a friend, you must meet her on the island.||Yes||3|
|Gary||Gary is probably inventing a new gadget. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||4|
|Franky||Franky is sampling new sounds. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||5|
|Petey K||Petey K is tuning his accordion. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||6|
|G Billy||G Billy is practicing his drum solo. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||7|
|Stompin' Bob||Stompin' Bob is rocking out. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||8|
|Sensei||Sensei is training ninjas. To add him as your friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||9|
|Herbert P. Bear||Herbert P Bear doesn't like penguins very much. Try searching for someone friendlier instead.||Yes||10|
|Dot||Dot is trying out new disguises. To add her as a friend, you must meet her on the island.||No||15|
|Rookie||Rookie is on a top secret mission. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||16|
|Jet Pack Guy||Jet Pack Guy is on a top secret mission. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||No||17|
|Director of the E.P.F.||That information is highly classified. Try searching for someone else.||No||18|
|Klutzy||Klutzy is click click clicketty click. Try searching for someone else.||No||19|
|G||G is probably inventing a new gadget. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||No||25|
|Happy77||Happy77 is getting you the latest scoop. To add her as a friend, you must meet her on the island.||No||26|
|Billybob||Billybob is helping the team with new ideas.To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||No||27|
|PH||PH is training wild puffles. To add her as a friend, you must meet her on the island.||Yes||28|
|Rocky||Rocky's rehearsing new dance moves. To add her as a friend, ya gotta meet her on the island!||Yes||29|
|CeCe||CeCe's working on her latest song! To add her as a friend, ya gotta meet her on the island!||Yes||30|
|Brady||Brady is offline. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||31|
|McKenzie||Mack is offline. To add her as a friend, you must meet her on the island.||Yes||32|
|Kermit the Frog||Kermit is offline. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||33|
|Sam the Sasquatch||Sam is offline. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on the island.||Yes||35|
|Merry Walrus||Merry Walrus is preparing for the next Merry Walrus celebration. To add him as a friend, you must meet him on Club Penguin.||Yes||36|
On October 28, 2011, the friends list got a major update. Beforehand, it was essentially a small window with 3 tabs:
- Friend list- an alphabetic list of friends. Online friends were marked with the smiling emoticon, while offline friends were marked with a blue, mouthless face emoticon. Clicking a name would open their player card. Unlike the list after the 2011 update, the original list had a limit of 100 friends.
- Players in room- a list of all players in the current room. Friends and mascots were marked with a laughing emoticon. Just like the friend list, clicking a name would open their player card.
- Ignore List- an alphabetic list of all penguins ignored by the player. Clicking a name would open a prompt button for removing/keeping the ignored penguin in one's list, rather than opening their player card.
- There was a glitch from 2006 - 2008 where penguins could add more than 100 friends, this was fixed after the Club Penguin Improvement Project.
- There is a glitch where all players on the list are shown as members, even if they do not have a membership.
- Looking up for a semi-famous penguin such as Billybob, Happy77, or Jet Pack Guy, told players that they are busy.
- Despite Billybob and Happy77 leaving Club Penguin, players were unable to send them a friend request unless they met them.
- On April 25, 2013, Rocky and CeCe's in-game sprites and player cards were completely removed, meaning players could no longer search them on the friends list. However, their friends icons were still visible.
- The same had happened with Merry Walrus.
- The 2011 Friend List system was based on HTML, rather than .swf files.