What Non-Members were able to do
- Buy and wear colors, flags, and backgrounds from catalogs, and later were able to buy items from a page in the Penguin Style catalog (introduced in January 2013).
- Collect a free item given away at parties.
- Become an Elite Penguin Force Agent.
- Become a Ninja.
- Become a Tour Guide.
- Buy up to two Puffles (two Blue Puffles, two Red Puffles, or one of each color).
- Buy puffle food.
- Waddle around anywhere on Club Penguin Island, excluding "member-only" rooms (certain party rooms, the Cloud Forest, and the Underwater room).
- Chat with other penguins.
- Play certain levels of mini-games.
- Earn non-member stamps.
- Meet Famous Penguins and obtain their Autographed Backgrounds.
- Unlock items or puffles from the Treasure Book.
- Decorate their igloos with certain furniture items.
- Make their Puffles do tricks.
- Walk Puffles.
- There were several catalogs with items that non-members could buy as well.
- Non-members could obtain several different igloos, either by unlocking them or obtaining them for free at parties.
- Penguins could still keep their puffles, member-only stamps and pins when their membership had expired. However, they cannot have access to the members-only clothing, igloo and member-only furniture, their decorated stamp book cover, etc.
- When a membership expires and the penguin was wearing member clothing, it stayed on their penguin until they took it off.
- Prior to February 2010, flags could only be purchased by members.
- Between January 2013 and Club Penguin's discontinuation, non-members could buy clothing in Penguin Style.
Club Penguin Island
As of the game's final update, 1.13.0, all players have membership that never expires.
What Non-Members were able to do
- Obtain all event items whether they're a member or not
- Obtain all level up items
- Obtain wearable event shirts
- Obtain wearable shirts from the Daily Win Spin
- Customize certain items in the Clothing Customizer
- Play the first adventure of every quest giving character
- Use Party Supplies given to them by members or obtained from the Daily Win Spin
- Customize an igloo, of which anyone is able to visit (unless privacy locked), with any quantity from a selection of 21 non-member Igloos & Interiors items
- Change the lighting of their igloo
- Play non-member games
- Buy and play Party Games with other players
- Waddle around anywhere on the island
- Chat with other players
- Reach the maximum Penguin Level
- Take part in non-member Daily Challenges
- Prior to the 1.2.0 update, ziplines could not be used without membership.
- Prior to the 1.4.0 update, most emojis could not be used without membership.
- Prior to the 1.6.0 update, two adventures, Ep. 1 - Bottled Maps and Ep. 1 - Drop In, could not be played without membership.
- Prior to the release of the All Hallows' Tee during Halloween 2017, there were no items that could be worn without membership.
- Prior to the 1.9.0 update, except for the Clear Sky lighting, all other lighting could only be used by members.
- Prior to the 1.10.0 update, Party Games could not be bought and initiated without a membership, and Tube Racing could not be played without membership.
- Prior to the 1.10.1 update, the Beta Hat, Alumni Jacket, and 1st Year Party Hat could not be worn without a membership.
- Prior to the 1.10.4 update, the Island Tube could not be used without membership outside of Tube Racing.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.