|When||November 14 – December 6, 2012|
|Free Item(s)||See Free items|
|Location||Club Penguin Island|
|Mascot(s)||Herbert P. Bear and Rookie|
Operation: Blackout was an Elite Penguin Force party in Club Penguin, that began on November 14, 2012 and ended on December 6, 2012, even though it was originally planned to end on December 4, 2012. Rumors had already started in 2011 due to the 'Behind the Scenes' video by Club Penguin containing footage of an employee working on a computer with big, black bold letters on the screen saying Operation: Blackout. On October 11, 2012, Polo Field indirectly teased the party on his personal Club Penguin blog, posting about listening to a track that the team was working on for November. It was confirmed on Twitter.
Operation: Blackout came to be as result of a misinterpretation from leaked image and fan's interest in more EPF content.
In late 2010, a Club Penguin staff member took a picture of a whiteboard with a roadmap from the Club Penguin Headquarters for content for the first half of 2011 and uploaded it online. This image was later leaked, and players found it and posted it on fan-blogs. Included in the image, on the whiteboard, under June 2011, was writing that read "'Blackout' 2 weeks". This was meant to be a break period for developers, where for those two weeks, there would be no updates to the game's client. Players speculated about what "Blackout" could mean, and staff took notice.
A few months later, while Businesmoose was working on a behind the scenes video for office tours, Polo Field thought it would be a good idea to reference the "Blackout" rumor in the video, and a mock mission script was made, which ended up shown on screen during the video, along with scrapped character Clawdius. It was widely noticed by players, and many mentioned it in emails sent to Club Penguin support.
For a long time after this, the team did not do anything relating to the concept. Eventually, however, due to the large amount of interest from players, the team eventually decided to make the "Blackout" concept a reality as both an EPF mission and a party.
On November 8 of 2012, Club Penguin Times issue #368 reported that Gary the Gadget Guy went missing and evidence suggested that he may have been kidnapped (by Herbert P. Bear, as first revealed in the Club Penguin: Operation Blackout Official Trailer). Field-Ops went offline and the EPF went on red alert.
Herbert P. Bear's plans consisted of taking over Club Penguin Island, ruling the island as the Dictatorship 'Club Herbert' and capturing every class-leading EPF agent (consisting of Gary, Dot, Jet Pack Guy, Rookie and the Director of the EPF). The Blackout consisted of Herbert isolating the sunlight and stealing its energy to keep himself warm, using his Solar Laser located at Herbert's Fortress. Herbert utilized a feature of his new solar laser, to use it as an energy blast weapon (powered by energy the laser had absorbed from the sun) to destroy the Everyday Phoning Facility and its secret EPF Command Room. Due to Herbert keeping heat from the sun from reaching the island for an ever-increasing time, the island and its inhabitants were suffering from a vast increase of snowfall and a rapidly decreasing overall temperature. EPF agents were ordered by their Director to put a stop to Herbert's scheme, they broke into Herbert's fortress to save the island and its inhabitants from Herbert, his plan, and total destruction. Herbert used his plans to take out revenge on the EPF and freeze their leaders, who had previously forced him to slumber in Operation: Hibernation. Due to Herbert's plans of capturing and freezing the Director of the EPF, this enabled him to use this arisen opportunity to find out the true identity of the mysterious leader.
On November 15 when the Blackout had started, EPF agents were briefed and ordered by their Director to infiltrate Herbert's Fortress. Agents were provided with disguises to sneak into Herbert's Fortress and slip through his defenses. The agents located Security Terminal 1 and bypassed it.
On November 16, agents received the Grappling Hook, which they used to pull a lever inside Sector 1 and open the doorway that was blocked. The agents located Security Terminal 2 and bypassed it.
On November 18, agents received the Plasma Laser, which they used to cut through another blocked doorway to access Sector 2. Afterwards, the agents located and bypassed Security Terminal 3. Around this time, previously, Dot had been captured and frozen in the containment chamber that was the 2nd to the direct right of Gary's.
On November 20, agents received the Deflection Vest, which they used to evade a laser security system. Afterwards, the agents located Security Terminal 4 and bypassed it. Around this time, previously, Rookie had also recently been captured and frozen in the containment chamber directly below Dot's.
On November 22, agents received the Smoke Goggles, which they used to see through a smoke screen and infiltrate another area of Sector 2, which contained Security Terminal 5. After the agents breached the smoke screen, they located and bypassed Security Terminal 5. Around this time, previously, Jet Pack Guy had been captured by crabs and frozen in the containment chamber directly below Gary's.
Around the time of Dot, Rookie and Jet Pack Guy's capture, the identity of the Director of the EPF had been discovered by Herbert. On November 24, the Director of the EPF was captured and frozen in the containment chamber between Gary's on the left and Dot's on the right. Agents received the Anti Lava Boots, which they used to walk across the lava pit inside Central Lock Down and enter Herbert HQ. After the player had bypassed the final Security Terminal, which was inside Herbert HQ, this caused the High Frequency Infrared Reversion Laser to self-destruct, and was consequently destroyed.
Finale and Aftermath
All the captured agents were freed. Penguins around the island rejoiced and the sun revealed itself, finally free from the clutches of the Solar Laser. Herbert, upon discovering that the Solar Laser had been destroyed and of his defeat, yelled in dismay. The Director congratulated the player for freeing Club Penguin from Herbert's dictatorship, and revealed their true identity to be Aunt Arctic. After the captured agents were freed, Rookie became a meetable character for the rest of the party. At some point after the Blackout ended, Herbert retrieved the destroyed Solar Laser.
- For items obtainable from the mission interface, see here.
|Herbert's Giveaway Background||Background||Meeting Herbert P. Bear||No|
|Rookie's Giveaway||Background||Meeting Rookie||No|
|Herbert Security Clearance Pin||Pin||Sector 1, Sector 2, Herbert HQ||No|
|Covert Agent Station||Furniture||Herbert HQ||No|
- In the Ask Gary section of issue #365 of the Club Penguin Times, Gary answered Hubert P. Enguin's question about how to build a high frequency infrared reversion laser, turns out Hubert P. Enguin was Herbert P. Bear using a fake name.
- Herbert was technically a dictator during this party, having taken over the entire island and making undesirable laws. Before this, it was unknown what the government of Club Penguin Island was, if any.
- This is the first time Herbert P. Bear was meetable online in-game.
- Club Penguin had been working on Operation: Blackout since 2010 and it was supposed to be held in 2011 after Operation: Hibernation. It was postponed to 2012.
- Herbert's website (ClubHerbert.com) was updated through the party, and the last thing he said was "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST OF ME", hinting his return.
- When ClubHerbert.com updated, photos of Gary, Dot and Rookie were shown along with a "To Capture" list with them at the top, it was rumored that they were captured, until the next update of ClubHerbert.com that clarified who was captured and Rookie appearing in issue #368 of the Club Penguin Times.
- During the party, players were not able to take the test to become an EPF agent and were automatically enlisted into the EPF instead, due to the Everyday Phoning Facility being damaged.
- At the Beach and Dock, there was a Snow Trekker-like vehicle carrying supplies.
- This party set a Club Penguin record, with 1.8 million penguins logged on November 24, 2012, the largest amount of penguins logged in at a specific time.
- Rookie made official online appearances during the last few days of Operation: Blackout.
- The empty Containment Cell at Herbert HQ was likely meant for capturing the player, as Herbert told in the Club Herbert Times about how dangerous for his plan the player was as an EPF agent.
- The tagline for this party is similar to the tagline for the Future Party.
- The island's blackout was foreshadowed in two music videos earlier in 2012: The Party Starts Now, where Herbert can be seen holding a wrench for a split second before the Night Club loses power, implying he caused the blackout, and later in Ghosts Just Wanna Dance, where Herbert is in the corner near the beginning of the video, holding a picture with the sun crossed out.
- According to the Upcoming Events section of issue #370 of the Club Penguin Times, the blackout would continue until March 2017. The game was closed in the same month, more specifically on March 30, 2017. Curiously, the fiscal year in Canada ends on March 31, a day later.
- When the party first came out, Holiday Party music played at the Paradise instead of its intended music.
- Even though the VR Room closed, it could still be accessed and be used to play PSA Secret Missions by logging into
http://play.clubpenguin.com/?login=true&rm=213#/login/and players would not be banned.
- The final terminal at Herbert HQ could be accessed and completed before November 24, but the cutscene would stay black until November 22, and the rewards were unavailable.
- Players could see Terminal 5.
- The ClubHerbert.com website was not updated when the other four agents were captured, just while Gary was captured. This has been fixed.
- When Club Penguin was updated for the snowstorm, every player got a free Membership that only lasted 10 minutes. It was confirmed that every time the island gets updated, the same thing would happen.
- When trying to buy something from the Operation: Blackout Catalog in the Secret HQ, the prompt pop-up said: Would you like to buy undefined for undefined coins? You currently have [player's number of coins] coins. This glitch was fixed.
- Players were allowed to access a terminal without getting the next item.
- The operation steps could not be seen, so players could not get the free items and complete them. This glitch later fixed.
Log off Screens
November 24 to 29 - December 5
- This phase only occurred for players who completed chapter 6, which could be done from November 24 to December 6. However, the sky would be bright for all players after November 29, regardless if they completed the operation, or were an agent or not.
Club Penguin Times/Club Herbert Times
Tour Guide descriptions
|Town Center||Welcome to Herbert Tours. Herbert has written everything I say because he's so smart and awesome. This is the Town Place. It has a statue of Herbert now. Pretty cool if you ask me.|
|Coffee Shop||Welcome to the Coffee Store. Herbert says penguins drink too much coffee, so from now on, only carrot juice will be served. Feel free to play all games to play here. But do not have fun. Fun is outlawed.|
|Book Room||Up here is the Newsroom. Herbert says the newspaper is awesome now that he is writing it himself. Please send him any questions you have, because Herbert is really smart and strong... sigh.|
|Night Club||Here we have the Noisy Club. Herbert says this place plays music too loud, so loud music is now forbidden here. Please feel free to dance and mix music, but do it quietly!|
|Arcade||This is the Video Game Room? Herbert says that arcades are silly. And waste precious time that should be spent on concocting evil plans. But if you're gonna to play anyway, Herbert recommends setting a time limit. About 35 seconds should do.|
|Gift Shop||Welcome to the Shop of Gifts. Herbert recently improved the catalog by posing with some of the items. 100% of the profits go to the Herbert Fund.|
|Dock||Welcome to the Dock encampment. A care center has been set up for puffles that are lost, cold, or sick from the Blackout. Please help out if you have a moment. Herbert avoids this place, he doesn't like puffles!|
|Beach||Here we have Herbert Beach. Though without the sun, it will be hard to get tan. MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!|
|Lighthouse||This is the Lighthouse Hospital. We're pretty sure Herbert doesn't know that place exists. Anyone who is sick or injured can come here, or if you need a safe place to get warm. Will this blackout never end?|
|Beacon||Up there is the Giant Lightbulb. It's actually getting more use these days, now that Herbert stole all the sunlight. It must stay on, to make sure no boats crash here. Soon it, might be the only light left on the island.|
|Ski Village||Here we have the Snow Town. Pay no attention to the building on fire. That's just the former base of the Elite Penguin Force. It was disguised as an Everyday Phoning Facility. Wait! That spells EPF too! I just got that!|
|Everyday Phoning Facility||This WAS the entrance to EPF, but Herbert showed THEM who's boss! Feel free to warm yourself by the fire, which Herbert has graciously provided.|
|EPF Command Room||Voila! This is the HQ for the Elite Penguin Failures! They tried to stop Herbert many times, but Herbert was WAY too smart and strong and talented, and cool and strong, and now they're gone. MWA HA HA!|
|Ski Lodge||Welcome to Herbert's Cabin. Herbert originally wanted to cut it down to provided much needed campfires for everyone. But ever since he took over the island, he's decided to keep as it is. Isn't Herbert a nice guy?|
|Lodge Attic||Welcome to the Storage Room. Herbert finds this place a little creepy. Like, what's up with that rocking horse? It's WAY too big. It doesn't make sense. Creepy.|
|Ski Hill||Here we have the top of Herbert Mountain. Herbert recently renamed it as his own honor. It used to be called the Ski Mountain, even though no one ever skis here. Herbert Mountain is a way cooler name.|
|Dojo Courtyard||Behold the Ninja Restaurant. Herbert doesn't like to eat here, because he heard that they serve fish and he's a strict vegetarian. Hopefully it will close down soon.|
|Dojo||Welcome to Ninja Palace. Herbert doesn't know much about ninjas because he's pretty sure they don't exist. So this place must be imaginary. You have a great imagination!|
|Ninja Hideout||I have no idea what this room is. Herbert didn't provide any notes on it. So, I guess it's safe to say whatever I want. Herbert is mean!|
|Iceberg||This is the Iceberg. Herbert thinks icebergs are unreliable and prone to tipping over, so please watch your step.|
|Snow Forts||Here we have the Snowball Fight Room. Herbert would like to remind everyone that it is illegal to throw snowballs at him. Anyone who does may be frozen.|
|Stadium||This is Herbert Stadium. Herbert has plans to tear it down and build a giant amusement park for crabs only. No penguins allowed.|
|Plaza||This is the Plaza. Here you'll find the best pizzeria on the island, a wonderful Stage production, starring Herbert, and a stinky place full of puffles. Herbert recommends avoiding the Pet Shop, because puffles are really annoying.|
|Pet Shop||This is the Pet Shop. Herbert thinks that puffles are really annoying, so he doesn't visit here very often. He plans on outlawing puffles soon and replacing them with pet rocks. Won't that be fun?|
|Stage||Shh! Be quiet! This is the Stage, which is currently showing a play about Herbert. Please find a seat and watch in awe. Flash photography is encouraged.|
|Pizza Parlor||Here we have the Pizzeria! Herbert recommends the seaweed vegetarian pizza. In fact when Herbert gets the chance, he'll be outlawing all other kinds of pizzas. So enjoy the Fish Dish pizza while you can.|
|Forest||This is Herbert Forest. Did you know that Herbert planted ALL these trees? It's true! And each one has a special name. That one is named Barky, and that one is Barky 2. Isn't Herbert a great guy?|
|Cove||This is the Swimming Hole. Herbert says that swimming is bad for you, like when you get water in your ears. Isn't that super duper annoying? So swimming is outlawed.|
|Mine Shack||Here we have the Tool Shed. Herbert plans to turn it into a spa for polar bears. So if you're a polar bear... Umm... Good for you?|
|Mine||Welcome to the MINE... it's now called the MINE because when Herbert saw it, he said "THIS IS MINE". So please stay out.|
|Cave Mine||This is the Dark Cave. The light generator was designed by Herbert, who donated it but never got credit. But that's okay. Herbert is chill about it, especially now that he's Illustrious Leader Supreme. Yay Herbert.|
|Hidden Lake||This is Herbert Cave. Enjoy it while you can. Herbert plans to turn it into a seaweed storage room. Sorry mermaids!|
|Underwater||Welcome to Klutzy Reef. When Herbert took over the island, he gave this room to Klutzy. Which was really nice of Herbert, because Herbert is really nice.|
|Underground Pool||This next bit of info is written by Klutzy... ahem... click click clickty click! Ka-click click click clickety clickey click!|
|Boiler Room||This is one of the best rooms on the island, so welcome to the Boiler Room! This place is pretty quiet and warm, which are Herbert's two favorite things! Enjoy!|
|Box Dimension||The first time Herbert saw this place, he got dizzy and barfed, So this is now known as the Barf Room, and Herbert will no longer be visiting here.|
|Paradise||Welcome to Paradise. Everyone who swears loyalty to Herbert may relax here...as long as you're quiet and respectful. Herbert might drop in from time to time. Make sure to tell him how cool he is.|
|Secret HQ||Welcome to Underground Resistance. This is a secret organisation fighting against Herbert... made up of EPF agents, Rescue Squad and others. We must take down Herbert at any costs!|
|Secret Tunnel||Welcome to the Secret Tunnel. This passage was dug by the EPF... and it leads straight into Herbert's base! Steer clear of crab spies... they've been asserting agents all over the island. Good luck!|
|Central Lock Down||Herbert does not know we're here so it is safe to talk. This is Central Lock Down to get past security you're gonna need a disguise. Contact the Director for orders. Good luck, and down with Herbert!|
|Sector 1||This is Sector 1. There are two Security Terminals hidden here... but you'll need the right equipment to find them. Contact the Director for orders. Long live the resistance!|
|Sector 2||This is Sector 2. There are three Security Terminals hidden here... but you'll need a Deflection Vest and Smoke Goggles. Stay focused, and good luck!|
|Herbert HQ||This is the Herbert HQ! Oh no! Herbert is freezing EPF agents! We need to save them... and take down that Solar Laser. Hurry! The island is running out of time!|
|Why do polar bears have fur coats?||Because Hawaiian shirts are too cold.|
|Why shouldn't you take a polar bear to the zoo?||Because it would rather go to the movies.|
|What's the difference between a polar bear and a mailbox?||If you don't know, you aren't very observant.|
|How do you stop a polar bear from charging?||Ask politely.|
|Why are polar bears big and furry?||If they were small and smooth, they'd be snowballs.|
|What do you get if you cross a polar bear and some seaweed?||A polar bear!|
|How does a polar bear stop a DVD?||He presses the pause button.|
|What do you call a polar bear with ice skates?||A roller bear.|
|What did the polar bear eat after the dentist fixed its teeth?||A nice salad.|
|Three cheers for Herbert!|
|Herbert is awesome!|
|Let's go to Herbert's Party!|
|I'm so glad Herbert is our leader!|
|I wish I was a polar bear...|
|Shh! We need to be quiet for Herbert.|
|Yuck! There's meat on this pizza!|
|Let's go see Herbert's play at the Stage.|
|Tell us a story, Herbert.|