These were the main features and purposes of the toolbar:
Easy/Quick Chat Button (Speech bubble)
The Easy Chat Button had many filtered and pre-written messages for the player to use. It could be used on all servers but it was mainly used on the Ultimate Safe Chat servers.
Emoticons Menu (Winking face)
Players could use this menu to choose from a number of emoticons.
Action Menu (Sitting penguin)
From this menu, players could choose from a number of actions: sitting in the desired direction, waving, or dancing.
Snowball Button (Snowball)
Players could click on this button to throw a Snowball.
- Note that the "t" key also does this faster.
This is where the player could have typed a message. It could have only been used on Open Chat servers. Players could have sent a message by pressing the [enter] key or the arrow button located next to the Chatbox. However, using the enter button is quicker. Players could not type numbers or symbols into it.
Edit Player Button (Blue Penguin)
This button could be clicked on to open up the player's player card.
Buddy list Button (two penguins)
This button opened up the Buddy list.
Visit Igloo Button (Igloo)
This button allowed the player to visit their igloo. It was one of the ways of visiting your igloo, the other is through the map.
Information Button (Gear)
This button allowed the player to see the age of their penguin in days, what server they are on, mute music, access to the ignore list, link to the Manage Accounts pages, and how many Friends their penguin had.
The chat bar in Penguin Chat was different from the one in Club Penguin. The toolbar in Penguin Chat had a special "hide" feature that hides most of the chat bar when it was clicked so that only the chat bar is shown. The same toolbar would later be featured in Penguin Chat 3, but with an extra button. It is unknown what the button did.
- It was still possible to change safe chat to normal chat.
- For on-members, the button to bring up their player card was a star.
- For members, the button to bring up their player card is in the shape of a member badge instead of a star.
- The Emoticons button used to be a regular smiling face.
- On ultimate safe chat servers, the player could not use the chat bar.
- The penguin on the actions button is a Penguin Chat 3 penguin because he is wearing Old Blue.
- The Igloo's button was formerly a white house with a yellow roof; which is a resemblance to a generic house design.
- In the Prehistoric Party 2013, the toolbar had a picture of a blue igloo for a strange reason.
- During beta testing, the Club Penguin toolbar had a mail icon instead of a star, it is unknown what that icon was used for.
- The only way to see the old toolbar is took look in the Tour Book.
- The toolbar from April 17, 2014, has a whole new look